Straight to the emergency department: burns in children caused by hair-straightening devices

Zoe M Poiner, Michael D Kerr, Belinda A Wallis and Roy M Kimble
Med J Aust 2009; 191 (9): . || doi: 10.5694/j.1326-5377.2009.tb02919.x
Published online: 2 November 2009

To the Editor: Contact burns in children caused by hair-straightening devices are increasingly common. Although the dangers of hair dryers and other similar devices are well known,1 there is less awareness of the risks associated with hair straighteners. The relevant Australian Standard does not mention hair straighteners.2 Four recent studies from the United Kingdom have reported on this problem,3-6 but there is no readily identifiable published information from Australia.

  • Zoe M Poiner1
  • Michael D Kerr1
  • Belinda A Wallis1,2
  • Roy M Kimble1,2

  • 1 University of Queensland, Brisbane, QLD.
  • 2 Royal Children’s Hospital, Brisbane, QLD.



remove_circle_outline Delete Author
add_circle_outline Add Author

Do you have any competing interests to declare? *

I/we agree to assign copyright to the Medical Journal of Australia and agree to the Conditions of publication *
I/we agree to the Terms of use of the Medical Journal of Australia *
Email me when people comment on this article

Online responses are no longer available. Please refer to our instructions for authors page for more information.